News & Events
Spring 2017 CTS News blast
Happy Spring! The CTS Team is thinking of you!
New CTS Team Member:
I'm happy to announce that I have joined the CTS Team as the new CTS Program Coordinator. My name is Garrni Baker; some of you may remember me as a SEED DC student, class of 2009. I attended The Pennsylvania State University (Go State), where I pursued a degree in Broadcast Journalism. I love working and interacting with youth, which has led me astray from working in that field. I was recently employed as a Resident Advisor at SEED DC, so I’ve already had the pleasure of working with some of you. A few of my hobbies include yoga, bike riding, and going to concerts.
It is an honor to join the CTS team and I’m excited to get to know each of you while in this role. You can expect to receive emails and sometimes calls from me regarding events and programming for graduates. I look forward to building new relationships with you!
- Special thanks to our SEED graduate spring break helpers! The graduates listed below came into The SEED Foundation office during their spring break to visit and assist with a few projects: Ricky Peacock, DC ’14, Markeisha Whitaker, DC ’15, Maryam Hassan, DC ’15, Sherrick Dunbar, DC ’15, Bijion Cooke, DC ’16, Jasmyn Hill, DC ’16, Olatunji Coleman, DC ’16, and Shanya Boone, MD ’16.
- HUGE shout out to Alexis Holloway, DC ’10, for being the graduate speaker at this year’s SEED DC Founder’s Day!
Financial Aid Updates and Reminders:
- If you haven’t already, please submit your ’17-’18 Renewal FAFSA and state aid renewal applications! CTS advisors are available to help you.
- IRS DRT: As you may know, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is down indefinitely. This tool is used to transfer information from (you and) your parents’ tax return(s) (1040 or 1040 EZ) to your FAFSA. Moving forward, the information on your 1040 must be entered manually into the FAFSA. Please be advised that because of this outage you may be chosen for verification. If you have any questions and/or would like more information about this, please visit http://www.collegeaccess.org/BlogItem?dg=7d1bcb1aff63422999de0d4d39fb4189.
- DC TAG Updates: Good news! Students may now apply for DC TAG up to the age of 26. Additionally, students may receive funding for up to six years, rather than five years.
SEED DC Updates:
- SEED DC has a new Head of School! Please join us in welcoming back Mrs. Mecha Inman. For those who don’t know, Mrs. Inman served as Director of Enrollment and External Relations for eight years at SEED DC. If you would like to congratulate Mrs. Inman yourself, you may reach her at her SEED email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’re excited to welcome a new college counselor to SEED DC – Dr. Chris Vick. Dr. Vick attended Morehouse College, and later earned a master’s and doctorate from Simmons College and Boston College, respectively. Dr. Vick can be found in the new College Center, located in what used to be the Admissions office.
- Check out our Opportunities page!
Have a wonderful spring! We would love to hear from you - whether it be a call, text, email, or social media message. If you have any updated contact info, please let us know. Lastly, if you're in the area, stop by the SEED Foundation this spring!